Senior Systems Administrator
Responsible for the technical design, planning, implementation, and the highest level of performance tuning and recovery procedures. Serves as a technical expert in the area of system administration for complex operating systems. Recommends the redesign and configuration of operating systems and system applications. Investigates and analyzes feasibility of system requirements and develops system specifications. Identifies methods, solutions, and provides project leadership and management in order to provide a high level of service to the customers of the department.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages the day-to-day operations of the Client host computers by monitoring system performance, configuration, maintenance and repair. Applies revisions to host system firmware and software. Works with vendors to assist support activities.
- Provides second level support to the Client staff for supported systems.
- Develops new system and application implementation plans, custom scripts and testing procedures to ensure operational reliability. Trains technical staff in how to use new software and hardware developed and/or acquired.
- May guide or provide work direction to technical staff, contract staff and/or interns.
- Performs troubleshooting as required. As such, leads problem-solving efforts often involving outside vendors and other support personnel and/or organizations.
- Installs, modifies and maintains systems and utility software on server computer systems. Provides server support related to other software.
- Establishes guidelines and methods for the installation and management of the host computer operating systems, disk arrays, fiber channel switches, tape libraries and other components.
- Ensures high availability and acceptable levels of performance of mission critical host computer resources.
- Develops procedures to maintain security and protect systems from unauthorized use, acts of nature and user abuse.
- Develops procedures, programs and documentation for backup and restoration of host operating systems and host-based applications.
- Develops and coordinates project directions and schedules to maximize benefits and minimize impacts on the customer organizations. Provides leadership in planning and implementation of projects for computer operations and enterprise systems administration.
- Develops tools, procedures, and training sessions for Operations, Client Support and Systems Development staff to assist with work.
- Manages the data center and computer host systems including hardware, software and equipment such as air-conditioning system, UPS (uninterrupted power system) and fire protection system.
- Stays current with technological developments in systems administration technology and recommends ways for PCC to take advantage of new technology.
A minimum of a Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Systems Engineering, Management Information Systems or relevant discipline is required. MCSE, PMP, certifications preferred. Equivalent experience may be accepted. A minimum of 10 years of relevant industry experience is required. Previous experience working in the Pharmaceutical or Biotechnology industry is preferred. Knowledge of: Programming languages and operating systems; current equipment and technologies in use; Unix system administration, enterprise backup and recovery procedures, and system performance monitoring tools; effective project management techniques. Ability to: Plan, organize and document complex system design activities and to configure systems to be consistent with corporate policies/procedures; communicate technical/complex information both verbally and in writing; establish and maintain cooperation, understanding, trust and credibility; perform multiple tasks concurrently and respond to emergency situations effectively.